Relevance. Certain personality traits can contribute to the development of diseases, including cardiovascular disease. It has been shown that in patients with essential hypertension (EH) neuroticism is more pronounced, and the level of blood pressure (BP) has a close relationship with the level of depression, anxiety, and stress.
Objective of the study was to establish the individual-typological characteristics of adolescents with EH.
Materials and methods. In the Kyiv city center for the diagnosis and correction of autonomic dysfunctions in children of Children's Clinical Hospital No. 6, a comprehensive clinical and psychological study was conducted in 34 adolescents (6 girls, 28 boys) aged 13-17 years (average 14.70 ± 1.46 years),who were hospitalized for EH. A multifactorial study of the personality of R.B. Kettell was used.
Results. According to the data of ambulatory monitoring of BP in 25 adolescents stable, 6 labile form of hypertension were revealed, in 3 - unstable BP.
On average, in the personality profile of adolescents with EH, relatively high values of factors E (dominance), Q3 (arrogance), O (hypotymia, guilt, anxiety) were revealed (6.39 ± 2.01 points, 6.22 ± 1,99 and 6.16 ± 2.61 points respectively) and low values on the factors M (practicality, traditionalism) and I (rigidity, realisticness) (respectively 4.00 ± 1.98 points and 4.03 ± 1.92 points).
In boys with EH, compared to girls, the mean of factors I and Q5 were significantly decreased (3.68 ± 1.61 versus 6.00 ± 1.90; P <0.05 and 4.89 ± 1.73 vs. 6.50 ± 1.22; P <0.05), and the factor C (5) was higher on average (14 ± 2.17 vs. 3.33 ± 2.07; P <0.05), which corresponds to more masculine personality traits (low sensitivity, courage, etc.).
The daily average values of diastolic blood pressure and hemodynamic blood pressure, as well as the average daily heart rate, were significantly inverse correlated (P <0.05) with the value of factor Q2 (r = -0.50, r = -0.35, r = -0.50, respectively).
On average, the personality profile of adolescents with EH is characterized by a tendency to dominance, arrogance, hypotension, guilt, anxiety, practicability, tradition, rigidity, and realism, which may be explained by the significant dominance of boys. Conformity, and therefore dependence on one's opinion, in adolescents with EH correlated with an increase in diastolic blood pressure and an average daily heart rate.
Conclusion. These gender personality traits of adolescents with EH (conformity and anxiety) should be considered when developing a program of medical and psychological care.
2. Hayashi M., Takeshita K., Uchida Y. et al. Angiotensin II receptor blocker ameliorates stress-induced adipose tissue inflammation and insulin resistance // PLoS One. 2014; 9 (12): e116163. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0116163. eCollection 2014
3. Garganeeva N.P. [Psychosocial stress and lipid metabolism: the concept of risk factors and a new approach to the prevention of cardiovascular diseases] // Russian Medical Journal. 2008; 121 (16): 1712. [in Russian]. URL: https://www.rmj.ru/
4. Szcześniak M., Furmańska J., Konieczny K. et al. Dimensions of neurotic personality and its selected predictors in individuals with arterial hypertension // Psychiatr Pol. 2019; 53 (4): 901-14. https://doi.org/10.12740/PP/100373
5. Mushtaq M., Najam N. Depression, anxiety, stress and demographic determinants of hypertension disease // Pak J Med Sci. 2014; 30 (6): 1293-8. https://doi.org/10.12669/pjms.306.5433
6. Khaitovych M.V. Diagnosis of arterial hypertension in children and adolescents // Health of Ukraine. 2014; 2: 38-9. URL: http://health-ua.com/pics/pdf/ZU_2014_Pediatr_1/38-39.pdf
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.